Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Germs, Germs, Go Away!

Warning: If you don’t want to read about ickiness, I would skip this post and wait for the ones with the cute vacation pictures that will be posted later in the week.

Well, I started this new blog, and then I kind of disappeared for about half a month. Hopefully, things will get better. I knew I would be away Thanksgiving week, as we had a much needed family vacation, but in the midst of our trip preparations, K developed a horrendous cough that just wasn’t getting any better. She acted fine, and had no fever, but the cough wouldn’t go away. I finally decided to take her to the doctor, and as it turns out, she had bronchitis and an ear infection. Nice... So she started antibiotics, a steroid, and nebulizer treatments, all of which we had to haul with us on our vacation.

So, off we went to Georgia for our vacation (more on that in another post), and she was doing fine. The cough was still around, but it was getting better.

Wednesday afternoon before Thanksgiving, I was relaxing at my mother-in-law’s house while the kids were napping. I dozed off in the recliner, and when I woke up, I was feeling yucky. Initially I thought it was that kind of yucky you get when you nap in the afternoon, but don’t really get enough of a nap. But within the hour, I realized it was much, much more. The dreaded 24 hour stomach bug. Ick. Needless to say, I missed supper, and went straight to bed, leaving hubby and MIL to deal with the kids.

And, in case you thought you were done reading about our holiday yuckiness...K woke up sick in the middle of the night that same evening, not once, but twice. When she gets a bug like that, her body fights it by sleeping. She slept pretty much all of Thanksgiving Day. I’m not sure she even realized there was a celebration going on in the house. I was semi-functional on Thanksgiving Day, and M was clingy and whiny, but we thought it was lack of sleep due to being awakened by his sister’s illness during the night. But, no, he got sick sometime during the night the next night. It really didn’t bother him, though. Didn’t even wake him up.

We did make it back home on Saturday, and it looked like everything was getting back to normal. And then, on Monday, our house was filled with Christmas decorations in various phases of unpacking, so my husband suggested going out to supper. We got everyone loaded up and into the restaurant, ordered, and just as our food arrives, M let us know in very definite fashion that he was relapsing with the stomach bug. I’ll leave it at that. It makes me ill thinking about it. I’m just glad we were in a relatively uncrowded section, but I feel for our poor server who had only been on the job about 3 days or so. So we asked for lots of to-go boxes, and headed home.

M has been better today, and even ate some lunch. He was supposed to get a flu-booster this afternoon, but that turned into a sick visit. As it turns out, the poor baby has a horrible sore throat and some congestion, so now he is on antibiotics. One of those moments that makes you feel like “Mom of the Year,” although I did notice him pulling his ears, which is why Dr. A checked his throat at all.

I’m ready for all of these germs to go away and let us enjoy the craziness that is December in our family.

And if you made it to the end of this post of yuckiness, thank you, and any prayers for well children (and parents) would be greatly appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. Mary, a Tonggu Mama in Saint LouisNovember 30, 2010 at 4:34 PM

    We're sick with headcolds here... and have been for a month. I think we have been passing it back and forth. UGH. I, too, am SO ready to get rid of the GERMS!

    J once up-chucked at a restaurant right onto her plate of fish sticks and fries - just as the plate was placed in front of her... the waitress barely had her hand out of the way. My husband and I were MORTIFIED at the time... but now we laugh about it... and no worries, my husband left a HUGE tip for the poor girl and busboy who had to deal with the mess.

    Hang in there!