Thursday, February 10, 2011

Feeling Icky

I have been neglecting my poor blog, in spite of the fact that I have several posts running around in my head. You see, the sinus infection bug has invaded our house yet again. With me, it started late last week, with me saying, “My throat is sore, but otherwise I feel fine.” or “This gland in my neck is swollen, and it is making my throat and ear hurt, but otherwise I feel fine.” or “I sound horrible and am losing my voice, but otherwise I feel fine.” You get the idea. And it really was true. I had one symptom at a time and never really felt that bad. My parents were in town for the weekend for a visit, it was CNY, and MJ had a basketball game. I didn’t have time to even think about being sick.

But I know myself, and I know that if I don’t head off a sinus infection at the pass, it will just get worse and worse. I’ve been down this road fairly regularly during my life, but, alas, I still muddle on until I feel totally run-down and miserable before I go to the doctor.

Finally, on Tuesday, I made an appointment with a new family doctor’s office (yes, we’ve lived here 3 1/2 years, and are just now getting around to that--usually my doctor’s visits manage to come on weekends or at times that require urgent care hours, anyway). So now I’m on antibiotics, trying to knock out this sinus infection.

Meanwhile, K had been showing a symptom or two (including her ear--always the ears with that one), and MJ, who very rarely gets sick, complained of a sore throat. So, no school for them on Wednesday, and off to the pediatrician’s office. That required driving the main pediatricians’ office in the next county because our local satellite office is closed on Wednesdays. Thankfully, the wonderful nurse practitioner there told me to call if M started having the same symptoms, and she would call in a prescription, and of course, I had to take her up on that today.

And that’s why I haven’t blogged in a week or so. The kids are mostly feeling normal, especially MJ, who has the most amazing resistance I’ve ever seen. I, however, am still having that “run over by a big truck” feeling.

Today has been better, and I’m hoping for even better tomorrow. You see, we have a 5 year old birthday party to attend tomorrow night, and I’m hosting a bridal shower on Saturday. I don’t have time to be sick.

1 comment: